The story of Spring Valley
Where to Find Us
Meet our Pastor
150th Anniversary Celebration
DON'T CLICK THIS SPOT!!
Spring Valley Mennonite Church, of rural Canton, was founded in 1873 when Bishop Daniel Brundage organized a
congregation of various Mennonite homesteaders who had migrated from eastern states. A 14-mile
furrow plowed in the virgin prairie marked the route to the church for some of the original members
who lived at a distance.
The first meeting house was built in 1875 on the southeast corner of Bishop Brundage's homestead at a cost of $400. The building had multiple purposes, including use as a school house.
Only a few years later the congregation hosted the organizational meeting of the old Kansas-Nebraska Conference. The church hosted the first evangelistic meetings in the Kansas-Nebraska Conference, and was one of the first member churches to implement Sunday schools, both of which were controversial at the time within the (Old) Mennonite Church.